Tuesday, October 23, 2012

blogging is not narcissistic

(I've been over here, talking about three reasons why you shouldn't follow my blog. Shooting myself in the foot, or indulging in a little facetiousness...we may never know.) 

When I first started blogging, I was a little shy about telling people I had a blog. I still kind of am. And by "people", I mean people I know in real life. I was afraid their opinion of me would change--that they would suddenly think I was a self-absorbed, self-glorifying type of person. 

In reality, I am just another weird flawed person who sometimes takes life too seriously, and sometimes not seriously enough. And who likes to take awkward family portraits with her husband in the hopes of making other people feel uncomfortable.


But, back to blogging. The more I think about it I realize that yes, blogging might be narcissistic if we all posted onto our blogs, removed the "comment" application, and didn't offer any way for others to communicate with us. Or if we used blogging as an escape from real life. But that is not the case, most of the time.

I am always thrilled when I email another blogger, and we can talk like friends. Or when a blogger comments on a post of mine, and they make me laugh. Blogging is really just a bunch of people who like to capture life in a beautiful way, and share those lives with others. I like to think of it as challenging each other to be more creative, more appreciative of what each of us has been dealt. The more I do it, the more I love it, and appreciate all my readers who take minutes out of their day to read, reach out to me, or respond to my emails or comments.

In short, I just wanted to say thank you to all of you who have ever spent any time reading my blog ("real life" people, not excluded!). And, if you are here from Living in Yellow this month, I would like to give you an extra special thank you, and a hearty welcome! I do hope you will stick around.

14 comments:

Myranda said...

I am now following from Living in Yellow and I really love your blog :)
Myranda
www.prettylivingpdx.com

Mosby Hardin said...

Found you through Living in Yellow! I love this. I am always really shy about telling in real life people about my blog. But those who do know about it love it!

Ashley said...

I just found your blog from your LIY post!

I think it's very real and that you and your blog are pretty awesome!

Looking forward to reading more!
Ashley

Erin @ Living In Yellow said...

I found you from Living In Yellow....
and definitely plan on sticking around ;)

Jen said...

I was/still am nervous about the people I know in real life knowing I blog. But as I have let a few people here and there know, I am normally surprised to find out that A. They have never heard of a blog (crazy I know ;)) or B. Are really supportive and think it's "so cool" that I have a blog. I really enjoy your blog so I will be sticking around :)

Lesley said...

I loved your post at LIY, and I love your awkward photos. Someday, I want to start taking awkward photos, too.

Love your blog!
:)

Lesley
bytheporchlight.com

Kana said...

Bwahahahaaaaaaaaa awkward posed photos.

But seriously, writing (next: reading??)is a dying art...activities where it is done for fun shouldn't be catching heat under any circumstances. Well, maybe if it's a serious, in-depth cross-comparison of all 90s boybands or something. BUT OTHER THAN THAT...

Emily said...

Those staged photos of you and E-lob will forever crack me up.

Steph said...

I'm a new follower from LIY, and I already love your blog :)

♥ Marcy ♥ said...

Awwww you seriously made my heart smile! Love this post and I couldn't agree with you more. Your ploy to have people not follow you didn't work with me =)

Michael Z said...

Hey! Found you via LIY. I liked you why NOT to folow approach. (Un)Fortunately, I'm also guilty of getting really weird when I'm tired. I call it my Gremlin Hour. I think it's awesome that you wound up in DC and on Capital Hill, obviously you've had a love/passion for it for awhile.

Holly said...

Just found your blog through Erin's! Looking forward to reading more!

I don't tell people I blog. I don't think blogging is narcissistic, unless a blogger does the things you mentioned. For me, it's a creative outlet. I like connecting with other bloggers too :)

Kayla C said...

I'm glad I found your blog, and I feel similar about blogging. LOL about awkward photos- yours is great!

samantha brinley said...

I found you from Living in Yellow! I'm new to blogging and I totally agree with you that blogging is a way to share the beauty in life. There are so many little things I enjoy and I want to share! I think blogging is one good way to do that. A place to inspire people. :)